Highclere Castle - which is Downton Abbey - played a key part in the formation of Canada
The English Highclere castle might best be known as the setting for Downton Abbey‚ but its 19th-century earl played a role in the passing of the British North America Act and the eventual birth of a new country, called Canada.
The Canadian connection
- Generations of Carnarvons took on a variety of roles over the years and at one point, they played a big part in Canada's confederation.
- In fact, the fourth Earl of Carnarvon was Secretary of State for the colonies and helped Sir John A. Macdonald, Canada's first Prime Minister, create an independent Canada.
- The documents were drawn up in Carnarvon's home, Highclere Castle.
- "The Canadian constitution was written by Lord Carnarvon … at Highclere," said Carnarvon.
- "He and John A. Macdonald became good friends and obviously it led to the first of July, 1867."
- Carnarvon says she found a diary where Macdonald described Highclere as a "swell place."
ARE YOU AMAZED? ...I AM!
Canada 150: Huge crowds and Prince Charles and Downton Abbey celebrate Canada's anniversary.
Click here for the full Canada 150th Anniversary BBC NEWS story:
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-40468161 and scroll all the way down to the last video on the page entitled "Highclere Castle - which is Downton Abbey - played a key part in the formation of Canada" .